Monday 9 August 2010

Who Am I Creatively?

Well, like many amateur artists I am going through an identity crisis.

I know what I like to do - machine embroidery. But I don't feel I have direction, a creative voice.

I am a course and book junkie. Always trying something new. But at the end of the day it doesn't make me happy. I would love to have a definite identity whereby someone could look at a piece of my work and KNOW it was by me.

So, I am investigating joining a textile group where I may find direction. I am also working out what it is I actually like.

So far:

Wall hangings, bags, texture, distressed materials, ethnic styles.

So, that give me a bit of direction but also the freedom to create a felt backing fabric and then make a large distressed ethnic wall hanging - yeah, sounds simple. But what of?

I'll keep ya posted.

Lxx

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lelly, found your blog from the forums via Interweave.

    If you love machine embroidery and are a book junkie...confine your book buying to related topic and push and push and push yourself to master the medium as creatively as you grow...and may I suggest being patient with yourself also as you take detours...sometimes a detour may stick but just as equally important, detours can let you know what you don't want to waste time, energy, and money pursuing.

    Good luck with your pursuits!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can relate to your posts. My problem-not that it's a problem- is that I LOVE so many different things and pursue 5 directions at once. Have fun experimenting and creating. :0) I'd love to see pics of what you work on.

    ReplyDelete